Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Power's Out....

And the power's out in the heart of man,
take it from your heart
put in your hand.

Name that song title. I just kept thinking of it today, as the words "power out" were everywhere. There are some things about power outages that really suck, like driving for one. There you are, on the streets, and no one seems to know how to function without little lights directing them. There were tree branches everywhere, accidents. Yet the thing is, there is this aspect of power outages that I just love. This afternoon was sort of magical in a way. No power at all at TWU. So we had Nineteenth Century Novel in the dark. It was amazing. It felt like we were all in on something. Then I walked out of class talking to my prof about Oscar Wilde, and how he considered Jesus to be an artist. As I walked through the English department, they were all smiling. Leave it to us literature keeners to romanticize the storm. We just can't help ourselves.

I think power outages are supposed to remind us, that sometimes we just need the dark. We need to sit in a house in the dark, and realize all the things we fill our lives with. I did this for about ten minutes. I would like to tell you that I did all night, with my night off (classes were cancelled!). But the thing is, I didn't. I convinced Matt and Kira to try and drive to a movie with me. The theatre was all black, closed. That'll teach me.

It does make you wonder though.
A world without power, a world without light.
Maybe thats all we needed.
To be reminded, that life is more than
computers,
plug ins,
lights
movies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so you posted this after the power came back on, eh? Hee hee. Anyhow, I totally agree with you on everyone needing some time for the power to go out. Allows space to SLOW DOWN...something we reist so heartily. Thanks for your insight, Sharelle. PS - did I mention that I had that Sbux ginger-nog latte? Ab Fab!

PPS - did I also mention that I think you are wonderful? Ok, there it is!

Kristina said...

Neighborhood #3.
Arcade Fire.
That's who said it.