Sunday, October 03, 2010

It's my birthday...

Well what do you say really, when your last post was June 3, 2010. Exactly four months to the day. Sort of timely then I suppose.

I guess I do have some pretty adequate excuses:

a wedding
a honeymoon
and now unfortunately, a surgery.

So maybe, now that my excuses are over (mostly), I can't defend my lack of posting any longer. I remember a time when something really excellent or noteworthy happened, I would shout "that should be a blog post" and then I would make a mental note. Now it just turns into a facebook status. That's pretty lame - I'm going to try bringing those thoughts here again okay? See if I can break this "soundbite" generation thing.

This week has been unusual. I have spent the majority of it sitting in my condo (hey, I live in a condo now, with my husband!) trying to build myself back up to normal activities. Things are progressing, but its still hard not be frustrated when senior citizens pass you in the street (yes that actually happened) Whilst in the hospital, someone also stole $500 from my bank account, so I worked on getting that back. And then on Friday, I thought I had lost all of the documents from my computer. Like literally all of them.

So I had a little breakdown, where I got all existential and wondered if any of it mattered ("but I did all that work on all those lesson plans and papers and they're gone"). Mostly a "final straw" moment, where I wasn't sure what else I could take. Luckily, I have a very wise husband who calmly ushered me out of the condo and into Home Outfitters to spend some wedding gift certificates (thank you my friends for those).

In the end, I got both the money and the documents back (hurrah!). But even before I did, I realized that I have an embarassment of riches here. I have a husband who loves me and takes care of me after surgery and I have a community that cares about me - one that will fly across the country for my wedding, do silly wedding tasks, visit me when I am stuck at home. I don't think I could ask for more.

So, on this 26th birthday I feel incredibly blessed.

(and hey, I'm going to try and blog more okay? please keep coming).

6 comments:

Margaret said...

As long as Google Reader exists, you'll always have faithful followers!

What kind of surgery did you have? Unless of course you don't want to share...

Sharelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben S. said...

woohoo! welcome back, dear friend!

theRachel said...

I will always keep coming back to read...Margaret is right, Google Reader will keep us dialed in.

Hope it was a fabulous birthday for you!

Tyler said...

I'm glad you were born. Happy (belated) birthday my friend.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can relate to turning blog posts into facebook status's! I think I have become notorious for that since I travelled Europe and moved to the UK! Sometimes, it's just more efficient in getting the news out. However, I believe the content is just better on a blog. After all if all we do is post updates on facebook, that's just too much like Twitter and I detest Twitter!