Tonight I walked into the theatre with mild trepidation and extreme excitment. And I was not dissapointed. I will say that I was sad to not see it with the clan of girls that I expected to attend with. I do think a second viewing might be in order.
Let's start with the great things:
1. Hollywood - now I am not saying that I dont love the BBC and their version, because I do. I am just saying there were quite a few moments that I was glad to see the clever camera angles in this new picture. A few really georgous moments - including Lizzie running the field towards Netherfield to see her distressed sister.Camera work - A+.
2. The Father - while I do think he missed his mark in a few scenes, the final scene where he grants Lizzie his blessing was remarkable. His genuine affection for her and understanding of her love for Darcy - love it.
3. Pemberly - friends, it was presented beautifully. I felt that the majesty of that place was projected in this film to its full extent. That and my favourite room (the hall with the painting and staircase) was featured. I was one happy girl when Pemberly came on the screen.
Not so great:
1. Hollywood - haha. Let's just face it, its true. I like the idea of watching the scenes redone but man there was some cheese.
2. Final scene - I'm sorry - did anyone EVER read a scene in Austen where Lizzie was reffered to as Mrs. Darcy. Umm..no. And the ankle pants - again no thanks. Wish they would have ended it before that, but that brings us back to the intial point - Hollywood.
Overall, truly magical. I have a preeetty good feeling I am going to end up owning it. And watching it about 10 more times. And on that note - since I did not get my act together and get the girls to watch it, I propose one of two things. Either we all go again (despite jenny and I already having seen it) I am up for that. Or....when its on DVD we can rent and compare.
Who's kidding who? I think the theatre again may be a must...but I am talking P & P keeners here. Who's up?